Monday, February 11, 2013

Kettlebell Anfang (Beginning)

Time to discuss the "anfang" (beginning in German) of my Kettlebell training. What is the Kettlebell? As usual, wiki defines kettlebell quite well as, basically a heavy iron ball with a handle developed in Russia in the 18th century.
What I found by research and watching youtube videos is that this is a very dynamic way to exercise that encompasses both strength and cardio exercise in one bundle. Not only that, this one devise can be used for dozens of different exercises that can target virtually any muscle group you desire and provide a variety of fun. Finally, in the overall scheme of things it is relatively inexpensive and I can work out at home, not the gym. Just one 8 session Kettlebell Swings leaves me panting and with glowing muscles too. Given my penchant for giving up on exercise regimens due to boredom over time, I'm hoping the varied nature of this tool will have me exercising with it more over a longer (lifetime?) span.

Given my goal for use of this is to tone my body as it's not been toned since Army boot camp in 1978, I decided to document my use of the kettlebell over time to hopefully objectively measure results and see how my spirit responds to using this odd device over time.  Thus, below you will find the obligatory "before" picture so that as time progresses we all can see what affect kettlebell training has on my physique.

I took this picture January 28th which is the day I bought the Kettlebell and after I had already lost 10 lbs (194 lbs) with calorie reduction and walking alone. My online research recommended that a man starting with Kettlebell should purchase a 16Kg Kettlebell, but when I bought mine I found it to be too heavy so I bought the next weight down (30 lbs ~14Kg). I am hoping to get to flat (but not necessarily six-pack) abs and virtually no love handles and a more defined chest and arms. I'll take a picture once a month and post side-by-side with this picture to see if there's visible difference between before and after.

So what is my Kettlebell training regimen? I am working out a minimum of 5 times a week on on the Japanese Tabata training schedule where I exercise intensely for 20 seconds, followed by 10 seconds rest, until I reach the number of sessions for that day. Since each session is 30 seconds, I can double up to get to the minutes I want. I downloaded a free android app to time the sessions. My current KB workout sessions are:

Mon-Wed-Fri - strength conditioning currently for 16 sessions or 8 minutes.
  • KB Swings, 2x  (core strengthening abs, thighs, glutes)
  • Around the world, 2 X (left & right) (abs)
  • KB Rows, 2x (L & R) (upper body arms)
  • KB halo, 2x (L & R)  (abs)
  • KB goblet squats 2x  (lower body)
  • KB swings, 2x   (core)
  • KB windmills 2x (abs)
  • KB presses, 2x (L & R) (upper body)
  • KB curls, 2x (L & R) (arms)
Tue-Thu (as schedule permits on weekends too) cardio/strength 8 sessions
  • KB Swings 8 sessions
  • Turkish Get Ups - as many as I can do - currently 1 to 3 get-ups
There are two types of Turkish Get Ups (TGU) which I describe as the "strong man" way where one lifts entire body and crosses the free leg under while supporting yourself on one arm, and the "old man" way where you cross the legs under while sitting on your posterior. I found out that I can do the "strong man" with my right hand but my left hand is too weak to support myself (as yet) so I do the "old man" TGU on left hand support and "strong man" TGU on right hand. (Search Turkish Get Up on youtube to see what this is.) Let me tell you, the TGU is a serious workout! Also, I am not strong enough yet to do a TGU with the Kettlebell so I am using a 10 lb barbell for TGU until I gain more strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment