Thursday, April 4, 2013

Partnering with Spouse


Inge and I in Garden area of The Alamo, San Antonio, Texas
After two weeks of feasting honoring guests, my wife, Inge, and I talked yesterday that we need to both get back on track to loose weight. In the past we've done our own thing when it comes to weight loss, but this time she and I are negotiating a period of time where we severely reduce calories. The starting point for the negotiation is to go on something like a Ramadan-style fast for one week - no food until evening dinner for one week.
Installing Fence Post

It's fun and interesting to involve Inge in sharing a goal like this. However, it is also fraught with hazards as it is easy to misconstrue comments into perceived personal attacks. Over the years I have learned that in order to preserve a harmonious marriage, the topic of weight and what and how much we eat is taboo. Thus, a discussion of sharing a goal of weight loss becomes an area where I must exercise the greatest of restraint and mindfulness of what's said to keep the peace while ensuring we achieve our goals in harmony.

I ate a massive protein dose yesterday - lamb for lunch and steak for supper. Enjoyed to the max but man-O-man, do I need to get back on track on calorie reduction! Not only that, I skipped my usual Thursday Kettlebell swing session this morning due to being off schedule (and being lazy too.) Mentally, I know I can't afford to slack because I have a physical appearance goal I want to reach and skipping sessions won't help reach that goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment