Monday, April 8, 2013

Post Hole Digging As Exercise

Posts Installed for Berry Row Trellis
Yesterday Inge and I spent several hours on our ranch performing garden chores. I've put off for a time installing a trellis system for our "berry row" so yesterday I finally got started with trellis by installing the three posts shown in the photograph above.

From an exercise perspective, my arms and shoulders vigorously tell me that digging three 30 inch deep post holes qualifies as exercise. Tamping the clay soil around the posts requires more muscle jarring work. Even though I was very sore last night and this morning, I performed my regular Monday Kettlebell strength session. However, I wimped out on post session extra swings at 15 due to exhaustion.

As a side note, yesterday I recorded a weight of 181 lbs (yea!) but today I clocked in at 184.5 lbs. This serves as further validation of my hypothesis that performing work that leads to sore muscles results in a two to three day weight gain.

Just for your information - black berries and raspberries both grow vines from root stock that follow a specific growth pattern. The first year the berry plant grows a vine that shoots up to three to five feet in length with lots of foliage. That vine becomes dormant over winter, then the next year the vine grows flowers that produce succulent berries. The third year, the former vine dies and becomes a dead cane, which the farmer prunes away in a well-maintained berry farm. Berry plants not maintained become brambles.

Installing a trellis system eases care of the berry plants (we're growing blackberry and raspberry plants). The above simplified diagram shows the trellis system I'm in the process of installing. I will likely build two rows of crosses, one above the other to contain the berry vines vertically as shown above. The main difference between the diagram and my construction will be that I plan to use a different support mechanism to brace against the compression stress of the wire supports. The following photo shows how I installed the intended brace for a fence post on our land.
Post Bracing Method


No comments:

Post a Comment