Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Across the Board Intensity Increase

Ice Capped Berry - 2007 Austin Ice Storm
Unlike this berry, temporarily frozen in time, my exercise regimen receives adjustments over time to ensure the correct intensity for what my body can deliver. Yesterday I amped the tabata up by 5 seconds per session, resulting in a 25% increase in my strength session length. Today I increased my swing session from 180 swings to 225 swings - 15 sessions of 15 swings.

For the swing sessions I don't deliberately set out to elevate the swing sessions ahead of time. I evaluate how I feel, mentally and physically, at the beginning of the session and set a target which I adjust as I progress through the session. Today I felt both physically sound and mentally rested and realized as I progressed that I could up the count from 12 sessions to 15 sessions without any problem.

However, that doesn't mean I was whistlin' dixie or shootin' th' breeze by the end of my 15th session. No, I was a pantin' sweatin' exhausted soul, wonderin' why I do such foolish things. Then I executed my Turkish Get Ups, thinking briefly of trying to execute 4 sets but could only accomplish 3 sets each side due to exhaustion from the expanded swing session.

I believe that by consistently pushing my exercise session boundaries I am incrementally improving my fitness and conditioning over time. Both subjectively and objectively I feel I have obtained a significant improvement in my fitness over the past six weeks of consistently working out. In fact, I feel better than I have for years!

No comments:

Post a Comment